I think there are two types of people when it comes to watching movies and shows. There are people who never want to watch the same thing twice. They want the “first time” experience, the surprise. Then there are other people. People like me. I have a small bank of movies and television series that capture a part of my creativity. They soothe me. They give me colors and characters that have become like family to me. These I play when I don’t want to try. Best in Show by Christopher Guest, Spaced by Edgar Wright, and more than my share of Wes Anderson films: The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, The Royal Tenenbaums, and of course the Grand Budapest Hotel are my favorites.
Wes Anderson films feature delightfully one-dimensional characters. Every scene is a piece of art. He inflicts upon us the sonder of loving and grieving times that are gone, and they are all perfectly comforting.
If you have a Wes Anderson film fan in your life, consider these gift ideas – tokens for them to define their space and lift their thoughts.
- A Royal Tenenbaums original movie poster issued by the studio (available at the time of this posting)
- The Grand Budapest Hotel throw pillow case. I have this. It makes me happy every time I pass by it.
- Mr. Foxxy Fox action figure from Fantastic Mr. Fox
- The Royal Tenenbaums reusable lunch bag
- Moonrise Kingdom minimalist art poster print
- Indoor Outdoor Fantastic Mr. Fox doormat
- Team Zissou Stationery Stickers inspired by The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
- The Moonrise Kingdom original motion picture soundtrack
- Rushmore and Life Aquatic DVD set
- And JUST FOR FUN, a video tutorial that will show you, too, how to create the luscious courtesan au chocolat from The Grand Budapest Hotel.
That does it for my top ten suggestions. Share your ideas in the comments.